5 Best Automatic Cat Feeder: For Purr-fect Meal Times!
Who doesn’t love cute and adorable little fur balls that complete the picture of a purr-fect family? However, having pets at home means added responsibility as you have one or may be two extra family members that need care. From feeding them on time to taking care of their hygiene and grooming needs, there are many responsibilities that come with owning a pet.
If you are a working parent or other commitments keep you away from home and you find it difficult to stick to your cat’s feeding schedule then consider investing in an automatic cat feeder. These are programmed devices that ensure your baby never misses a meal even when you are not at home.
However, choosing the best automatic cat feeder from a gaggle of different brands and models can be a tough choice. Here are a few important factors that you need to consider before buying an automatic feeder for your pet.
5 Things to Look for In the Best Automatic Cat Feeder
Feeder capacity:If you have more than one pet or you won’t be home the entire weekend, you will need a product that can provide multiple meals. The best automatic feeder should allow you to decide how much food is dispensed for one meal time and how many meals are offered to your kitty.
Ease of use: The best feeder should make your life easy and not trouble you with complicated settings. So, look for a product that is easy to use so that you have one thing less to worry about. You should be able to easily program the feeder and get timely alerts to refill.
Dry or moist food storage: If your cat eats only wet food then you may need to look for a feeder that dispenses wet food. While almost all of them dispense dry food, there are only a few that can keep wet food good for long. They have special ice compartments to keep the food from getting spoiled.
Safety first: You need to ensure that there’s no way your cat will get hurt by the feeder’s external design. If your cat is allergic to plastic then you might need to get one with stainless steel feeding bowls.
Aesthetic factor: When buying a feeder, you may want to get one that compliments your home décor. However your cat’s safety and compatibility with the feeder should come first. Your cat should be happy with the arrangement as much as you are.
Now that you know what to look for in the best cat feeder, let’s take a look at the top five models available in the market to help you nail your buying decision.
PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Feeder
This automatic cat feeder comes from the house of one of the leading manufacturers of pet products – PetSafe. The feeder boasts a cool exterior and smart design that is built to dispense up to 12 meals a day when programmed. You can set the timer for the feeder to automatically dispense food when it’s meal time for your kitty. You have control over the meal portions which may range between 1/8 cup and 4 cups. It can dispense both dry and wet food as per your pet’s requirements.
What we really appreciate about this feeder is that it comes with a nice stainless steel bowl which can be easily cleaned. The feeder can hold a lot of food so even if you are away for an entire weekend, you will have peace of mind from knowing that your cat is fed with healthy portions on time. There are multiple feeding options that help you decide whether you want your cat to eat 2-3 times a day or eat small quantities of food at regular intervals.
- Measures 18.5 x 8.7 x 12.4 inches
- Weighs 4.6 pounds
- Serves up to 12 meals per day
- Stainless steel bowl
- Works with 4 D Batteries
- Dishwasher safe parts
- 1/8 cup up to 4 cups
- Multiple feeding options come in handy if you are trying to manage your cat’s weight
- Helps you stick to your cat’s feeding schedule
- Keeps your pet happy and well fed while you are away
- Container can hold up to 24 cups
- Removable stainless steel bowl is more hygienic and healthier than a plastic bowl
- Works with batteries so your cat gets food even when there’s a power cut
- Comes with only one bowl so not suitable if you have multiple pets
- Measuring exact food portions is not easy
The PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Feeder not only looks great but it comes with a lot of programmable features to ensure that your cat is well-fed even when you are not at home. We give the product extra points for the removable and easy to clean stainless steel bowl. While we feel this feeder is slightly overpriced than competitor products in the market, the plethora of features and reliable performance justify the price.
Arf Pets Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser for Dogs & Cats
The Arf Pets Automatic Pet Feederis aesthetically designed to complement the décor of your home instead of looking out of place. The slim body boasts a solid construction and unique design which makes it spill proof.
Even if your pets are food crazy, they will not be able steal any extra kibble from this dispenser. The product ensures that Fido or Tommy don’t miss their meal times even if you are late at work or some other commitment keeps you busy.
This auto feeder is also useful if you want to do weight management for your cat or make them follow a meal routine instead of snacking all day long. The feeder can be programmed to dispense one to 10 portions of dry meal and each portion is 24 ml. You can preset the device to dispense up to four regular meals throughout the day. The top panel has a blue LED backlit display with a clock and settings that allow you to decide how much and how often your cat eats.
- It measures 9.65” x 11.8” x 15”
- Made from ABS plastic
- Weighs 4.63 lbs
- Uses 3 D size alkaline batteries
- Battery life is max 2,000 hours
- Backlit LED display panel
- Well-built and looks greatwith any décor
- It can both be plugged in or run on batteries in case of a power cut
- Allows you to record your voice which is played three times to call your kitty for meal time
- The magnetic lid is stiff and cannot be easily opened
- The external body is sturdy and robust
- It is air tight so no smell of food coming out of the jar to entice food lovingcritters
- Battery indicator tells you when it is low and needs to be replaced
- Alarm informs you when the feeder needs a refill of food
- Food bowl is made of plastic
- Noisy operation can disturb your sleep if that’s your purpose of getting an automatic feeder
- Doesn’t work for multiple pets
The Arf Pets Automatic Pet Feeder works as expected and the features are pretty decent to give you freedom from constantly worrying about your pet’s meal times. However, it can be programmed to dispense up to only four meals a day which may be less if your cat loves to snack on multiple small portions. So, if we feel that if your cat has the habit of eating more than four times a day or you have multiple pets at home then this might not suit your purpose. Otherwise this is a great pet feeder worth every penny.
SmartFeederWOpet Automatic Pet Feeder
The SmartFeederWOpet Automatic Pet Feeder gives you the freedom from hiring pet sitters to take care of your cat or dog while you are away. It not only saves your money but also the associated risks of having a strange person pet-sit at your home.
With this automatic feeder, you can be more self-sufficient and ensure that you baby gets fresh and healthy on time. It comes with a free app that works both on iOS and Android devices which comes handy as you can control or change the settings anytime.
You can control and monitor your pet’s feeding time from anywhere, anytime. There’s a built-in camera on the front side of the feeder that allows you to see your pet on your mobile phone to be doubly sure that he’s fine. It allows you to call out to your pet for meal time so he feels you are around. The feeder can be programmed to dispense up to four meals a day comprising of up to 10 portions and each portion measures 24 ml.
- Measures 8.27 x 10.63 x 15.94 in
- Hopper capacity is 4.3L
- Front 100,000,0 pixel camera
- Free SmartFeederapp
- Up to four meals a day
- Wi-Fi enabled
- Wireless connectivity is a huge plus allowing you to see your cat anytime
- You can call your baby to have food using the speaker feature
- It is battery powered too so your feeder works even when power goes out
- Easy to install and the settings are simple to understand
- Pre-set the device to offer 10 grams to 100 grams of food per serving
- It helps you take care of your pet’s special feeding habits
- It only dispenses dry food
- App won’t work when there’s no Wi-Fi connection
- Costs more than competitor products
Going on a weekend trip or vacation will be guilt free because you know your cute fur ball is fine and timely fed at home. It also saves you from spending a lot of money on pet sitters. You can be more self-sufficient and independently manage your pet’s meal times even when you are away from home. Overall, this is a good automatic feeder if you are okay with the slightly high price and your cat eats only dry food.
TD Design Automatic Pet Feeder
The TD Design Automatic Pet Feeder is a cool looking and thoughtfully built device to feed your cat on time even when you are not at home. So, if you are late at the office or stuck in a traffic jam, your cat will not go hungry. We like the fact that it serves up to five meals throughout the day instead of just fourwith other competitor products.
The feeder comprises of five different compartments and each unit can hold up to 240ml of food (both dry and moist). The ability to serve moist food will attract many users that have cats with dietary restrictions.
The food trays are easily removable and they are dishwasher safe so keeping them clean is pretty easy. You can decide how many meals you want your cat to have throughout the day and also control the portions. You can also record 10 second long personal calls that are played three times to call your cat for meal time.
- It measures 12 x 13.2 x 3.2 inches
- It weighs 2.9 pounds
- Fivemeals and each portion measures 240ml
- Made ofABS material
- Works with 4 C Size Alkaline Batteries
- Backlight LCD display
- It’s a great way to control how much food your cat eats while you are away
- Lid is secure so no chance of cracking it down to steal extra food
- Can be used straight out of the box
- Easy and simple settings take hassle out of using it
- Noiseless operation is a huge plus if you want some sleep at home
- Offers great value for money
- Can be used for both dry and wet food
- No option to keep your wet food cold
- No suction cups so a heavy cat can push and pull the feeder around the house
- A smart cat can figure out the operating features which can be an issue
We love the cool design and smart function of the TD Design Automatic Pet Feeder. It works for both cats and dogs. You can use it to feed wet food to your cat; however, there’s no mechanism to keep the wet food fresh for long.
The easy settings and amazing features make this product a great buy but if you have a super smart cat then she might very soon figure out the functions which could be an issue.
Nspire Automatic Smart Pet Feeder with Wireless Camera
The Nspire Automatic Smart Pet Feeder is a smart app-enabled device that allows you to stick to your cat’s meal times even while you are away from home. This intelligent feeder can be programmed to dispense up to four meals of dry food a day. You can choose from one portion up to 10 portions of food and each meal portion measures 5mm to 15mm.
The free RolliPet App works fine on both iOS and Android devices. You may use the app to see your baby at home in real time and even call out to your pet to make her feel you are around.
The app can store feeding records for up to 30 days. You can share cute antics of your cats on social media right from the app. The feeder works on a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network; however, when the connection is weak, it may be powered using an AC power adapter or 3 D batteries.
- It measures 9.6” x 12” x 15” (food tray included)
- Weigh 4.6 pounds
- Up to four meals
- CMOS 1 Megapixel camera
- Wi-Fi enabled
- Battery lasts for up to 2000 hours
- The body is sturdy and reliable
- Detachable feeding tray makes cleaning easy
- Camera allows you to keep check on pet’s activities
- Quality of video recordings is good
- Two-way audio helps you talk to your pets and hear their voice
- Helps you stick to your pet’s feeding schedule
- Store your memories on the RolliPet microSD card
- Camera can’t show your cat eating
- Smallest serving size can still be a lot of small pets
- Slightly expensive
Although the Nspireautomatic feeder is slightly expensive when compared to competitor products, we feel the ability to see your pet in real time and listen to their voice justifies it.
With this device, you can not only feed your cat on time, but talk to him so he feels you are around; however, be warned that this might startle some pets so use this feature on trial for a few times to see if your pet is okay with it. Overall, this is a well-designed and intelligent pet feeder that’s worth the price you pay for it.
Having a cat home alone will no longer be stressful as the best automatic cat feeder takes care of meal times like a doting parent. It doesn’t allow your cat to steal extra food and gives only as much is required to keep her tummy full and happy. If you are looking for a cheap option then the TD Designwill cost less; however, please be warned that a smart and active cat can toss it over and pull it around the house as it lacks suction cups.
If you have to frequently go out of town for business trips then we recommend that you invest a little more and get an app-compatible automatic feeder by Nspire or WOpet. They not only feed your cat on time but also allow you to see them in real time so you can be sure that they are fine. For multiple pets, look for a product that enables you to feed two or more cats at once.
Whether you want a feeder to just take care of one morning meal, special dietary requirements or her frequent snacking pangs, the best automatic cat feeder should be able to cover your specific needs and keep you and your kitty happy!